Skip to content
- Reading posts for April 21. Due: 12:00 PM. Please post to the appropriate Slack channel.
- One post should be framed as a question and one post should be framed as a comment.
- Topic: Writing: Composition Studies
- Texts to discuss
- Poe, Edgar A. “The Philosophy of Composition.” Graham’s Magazine 28.4 (1846): 163-167. Rpt. Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore. 2011. (Online reading)
- Sommers Nancy. “Revision Strategies of Student Writers and Experienced Adult Writers.” CCC 31.4 (1980): 378-88. (PDF available in Blackboard)
Homework, to do for April 26
Homework, to read for April 26
- Explore George Mason University’s Writing and Rhetoric pages. Pay particular attention to
- Begin racing for April 28
- Horner, Bruce, and Min-Zan Lu. “Working Rhetoric and Composition.” College English 72.5 (2010): 470-494. (PDF available in Blackboard)
- Downs, Douglas, and Elizabeth Wardle. “Teaching about Writing, Righting Misconceptions:(Re)Envisioning ‘First-Year Composition’ as “Introduction to Writing Studies’.” CCC 58.4 (2007): 552-584. (PDF available in Blackboard)
- Hillocks, George, Jr. “What Works in Teaching Composition: A Meta-Analysis of Experimental Treatment Studies.” American Journal of Education 93.1 (1984): 133-170. (Skim, paying particular attention to Summary and Discussion section (pp. 159-164). PDF available in Blackboard)